Monday, January 9, 2012

It's in the Air

We are in the desert. We are in a valley. The valley has an abundance of construction. Construction kicks up dust and dirt and particulate matter into the air. The valley holds this dust. This is the reason that I like to run at off beat times, preferably before the day of construction starts but that doesn't always work out with my schedule.

I originally come from a city with some of the cleanest and freshest air - Seattle. Ahhh....just breathe it all in. I arrived in Las Vegas over a decade ago and invariably, like many of my friends, I have developed what's called "exercise induced asthma". It's like it sounds. When I exercise, I feel asthmatic. When I am not exercising and just going about my day, I am A-OK.

It's nothing to cry over, it's like, it's workable. It doesn't get you right away, it almost takes years to creep up on you and one day you wonder why a simple one mile easy jog makes your lungs feel like they are constricted. Thanks to my trusty breather - two puffs a half hour before my outdoor runs - I am so good to go! Three miles, four miles, five miles, bring it on! It's like my lungs are saying "ahhhhhh". Breathe in. Breathe out.

So I'm writing this as a fair warning and to not be surprised if over time you start to feel a little bit strange when running, as if your body is betraying you like never before. It's probably exercise induced asthma. It's alright and there's a simple solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment